Saturday, September 27, 2008

In Which You Can Go Home Again

I would like to begin by saying that I hope this will be the last of the quasi-emo posts for awhile. That said, this is a blog in which one of the main intentions is to chronicle my immediate after-college life, so whether I like it or not, some of the posts are going to have that nostalgic, almost pathetic, "where-is-my-life-going?" quality. I guess it comes with the territory.

Now that that's out of the way: yesterday I made my first "real" visit to school as an alum to see the Old Shit Show (and attend the subsequent cast party). My father would probably call this visit a "Triumphant Return," and I am glad to say that I think in this case he would be correct in doing so. I admit that I was very nervous about it beforehand. I didn't know how I was going to feel, for instance, seeing the troupe I had been in (and for one year led) perform without me, about being an outsider looking in. Luckily, I didn't feel that way. The show was wonderful, and it was great to see some new talent on stage. They even did one of the sketches I wrote, which gave me the extra thrill of hearing people laugh at it all over again. Furthermore, I was received really well by the troupe - who are my friends, after all. It was an honor and a comfort to know that I have been missed.

Being on the actual campus itself, it was like I had never left. One of my greatest fears, in the weeks immediately preceding graduation, was that as soon as I graduated, the physical campus would no longer "belong" to me and I would never feel the same way again about being on it. But I guess that, inasmuch as the campus "belongs" to anyone who attends the school in the first place, it can never really not belong to them. Although both I and it will change, it will (hopefully) in some ways always be familiar to me.

I had a really great time. Perhaps a little too great of a time, as in addition to the memories and whatnot that I brought home this morning, I also brought a bit of a hangover. But what surprised (and perhaps pleased) me the most about the entire experience was that as I got off the T this morning and started the walk to my apartment, passing by the now-familiar shops and restaurants on the way, I thought to myself, "Oh. I'm home." I haven't yet lived here for a month, and already it has become what I wasn't sure I would be able to so easily find after leaving college: a home. I think most of the reason I can visit school without having too many of the "why-don't-I-still-go-here?" feelings is that at the end of the day, I have a place to return to. And while perhaps "you can't go home again," if you're lucky, home becomes wherever you are, and you never really have to leave.


No comments: